This page is dedicated to the activities of the Sustainability Commission. You will find notices for upcoming meeting and events, as well as information about the Commission's activities in support of an environmentally-aware sustainable community.
November 14 at 6:00 p.m.
Village Hall - Frank Alexa Training Room
Village Improvement Day
The Hoffman Estates Stormwater and Sustainability Commissions
sponsored a cleanup event on Saturday, October 1, from 10 a.m. to noon.
Community Pride Awards
This program, sponsored by the Sustainability Commission,
recognizes and honors three “best” landscaping categories:
• Single-family detached home
• Single-family attached home
• Neighborhood or homeowners association
We also recognize beautiful properties that incorporate “green” practices.
Nominations are collected each year in late summer via electronic submittal
or nomination form from the Hoffman Estates Citizen newsletter.
For additional yard maintenance tips, check the Commission Resources section at the bottom of this page for the SWANCC Eco-Landscaping Guide. Let's keep Hoffman Estates growing green!
Build a Birdhouse - May 14, 2016
Local Union 839 joined us on Saturday, May 14 to
learn about different types of birds in our area and
build wooden birdhouses. We had a wonderful time!
Hoffman Estates Garden Club Presentation - May 24, 2016
The Hoffman Estates Garden Club shared their favorite methods and tricks for
growing an outstanding garden. Turnout was great. Thank you for participating!
Citizen's Utility Board Bill Clinic - April 8, 2016
Citizen's Utility Board Presentation - March 25, 2016
CUB provided updates about your utility bills and explained ways to save money,
stay aware of potential problems, and register for the upcoming bill clinic.
America Recycles Day - November 15, 2015
The Sustainability Commission hosted a video-short contest for K-12 students.
A Night with the Hoffman Estates Garden Club - October 8, 2015
At 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 8, at the Village Hall, the Hoffman Estates Garden Club presented best practices for preparing garden beds for winter, composting, starting seeds and planning ahead to the upcoming spring.
Plant Your Park Day - Saturday, May 16, 2015
Plant Your Park 2015 was held in partnership with the
Hoffman Estates Park District on May 16, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Free Utility Bill Clinics - February 12, 2015 and June 22, 2015
The Citizen's Utility Board provided individual utility bill counseling. This free activity for residents is scheduled periodically. Keep watching for the next available session hosted by the Village.
Decoding Your Energy Bills - Dec. 10 2014
Citizen's Utility Board interactive presentation for residents. Focused on ComEd and Nicor bills, electrical aggregation, and more. Click the video below for the Channel 6 HETV video recording of the presentation. This video gives answers to questions about:
- What the Citizen's Utility Board is doing to advocate for residents and reduce their costs
- Confusing mailings from energy suppliers
- Recent rate changes in energy supply and distribution
- Electricity and natural gas supplier tactics
- Smart Meter installation and information
Commission Mission Statement
Enhance the quality of life for the Residents & Businesses of Hoffman Estates by promoting a culture of environmental & social responsibility that is prosperous, healthy and sustainable. We accomplish this through advocacy and education.
Sustainability Commission Purpose
As a part of the Village's "Growing to Greenness" strategy, the Mayor and the Village Board of Trustees have appointed resident and local volunteers to the Sustainability Commission. This Commission is directly involved in making the Village an environmentally sound and sustainable place to live.
The Village's fifteen volunteer Commission members are leaders in Hoffman Estates' mission to become a "green" community, and they suggest programs, services and activities that Village residents, businesses and the municipality can participate in all year round. The Commission regularly provides support for and sponsors recycling events, and other Village activities such as utility bill clinics and Village Improvement days. The Commission also manages the Green Business Recognition Program.
Become a Commissioner
For information about becoming a member of the Sustainability Commission, please see the Volunteer Boards and Commissions webpage. If you have questions specific to Sustainability Commission activities, please email email@example.com.
As the Mission Statement above indicates, the Sustainability Commission is responsible for education and awareness, as well as implementation of sustainability programs for the community and to assist Village operations. The Village Board looks to the Commission to consider and recommend appropriate programs and initiatives, as well as administer some activities. The following non-exhaustive list includes ways that the Commission contributes to our community:
- Environmental awareness and education for residents and businesses
- Manages the Green Business Recognition Program
- Produces children's Build a Birdhouse event (spring)
- Assists during the annual Village Recycling Day (late summer)
- Produces the Village Clean Up Day or other outdoor clean up and education event (spring)
- Hosts the Community Pride Awards (summer)
- Reviews policies and operational procedures relating to sustainable Village activities
- Recommends programs to the Village Board relating to sustainability
- Reviewed plans for LEED (Green) Police Station and Fire Station 24 (2008-2009)
- Participation at local and regional environmental and community events
- May enact new activities based upon the projects listed in the Village Sustainability Plan
- Previously held Environmental Fair and elementary school Recycle Art Fair.
|Current Agenda||Composting Regulations|
|Approved Minutes||Stormwater Information|
|Enabling Resolution||What Our Water's Worth|
|Board & Commissions Manual||SWANCC|
|Village Sustainability Plan||SWANCC Eco-Landscaping|