The Building Section of the Code Enforcement Division reviews and approves construction documents, plans, issues permits for residential and commercial construction, and performs building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical inspections according to the Hoffman Estates Municipal Code including the 2009 International Code Council (ICC) family of codes.
Inspection Phone: 847-781-2631 - *48 Hour Notice Required for Inspections*
- Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 9 a.m. to noon (limited basic services available)
- Inspectors are scheduled from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Ray Norton, Building Official, 847-781-2631
Jeff Mattes, Chief Building Inspector, 847-781-2645
John Shogren, Plumbing Inspector, 847-781-2641
Tim Meyer, Mechanical/Electrical Inspector, 847-781-2643
John Cumpek, Building Inspector, 847-781-2644
Within 500 Yards of a Residence: Weekdays 7am to 7pm and Weekends 8am to 6pm
Greater than 500 Yards from a Residence: Weekdays 7am to 10pm and Weekends 8am to 10pm
Permit Review Process:
HVAC, Siding, Roofing, Sewer Repair and Water Heater Permits are the only permits approved same day (maximum one same day permit per day). All other accessory residential permits typically require a review time of approximately 7 working days. Larger permits such as residential additions, multi-family and commercial typically require a review time of approximately 14 working days but can vary greatly depending on the scope of the project.
Permit fees vary depending on the scope of each project and are based on the Building Permit Fees (Municipal Code Sec. 11-7). A final fee total will be given upon full review of the permit.
- Things You Will Want to Know About Building Permits
- Prevent Frozen Pipes (Winter Heating Tips)
- Illinois Attorney General - Housing and Home Repairs Section
- Know Your Consumer Rights (PDF)
- Hoffman Estates Sustainability Programs